Well, this post title is a little obvious. It happens to be the reading on my car's odometer as of Monday morning. You may be asking yourself why I singled out this day to check the mileage. Almost exactly two years ago (11/24/2005) I reached the 100,000 mile mark in my car. I even have a photograph of my odometer on that day (see below).
I own a Honda Civic, model year 1999. I purchased the car in 2003 with about 48,000 miles on it. In my first year of ownership, I drove 25,000 miles, and then 20,000 miles in the second year. As you can see, my usage has declined even further recently. I am actually quite pleased with this change. It means that my car should last longer (a good deal, since it's paid for). It also means that I burn less gasoline (less pollution and money). This makes me feel good, but I know that this would paint an incomplete picture of my family's total fuel usage.
I am aided by a very short commute at present (7 or 8 miles), but any fuel savings that I've made have been counterbalanced by Angela's job which has her on the road every day. At least we both drive Hondas, which are fairly efficient vehicles.
The nice thing right now is that my car should get me through my remaining year of school, and hopefully a year beyond that. If this situation bears out, I could then save some money before purchasing another vehicle. Only time will tell, but I am glad to have a reliable, efficient vehicle right now.
No comments:
Post a Comment