Well, Halloween is officially over. Today is All Saints' Day in the Catholic Church, once known as All Hallows' Day. The night before was known, then, as "all-hallows-even", which became "Halloween" (or Hallowe'en). The holiday originates as a Celtic festival known as Samhain and is associated both with the harvest and the supernatural. (you can even check my facts on Wikipedia, which I am plagiarizing most abashedly right now).
Since I am neither Celtic nor Catholic, the holiday has had only had secular interest for me. As a child I looked forward with great anticipation to dressing up in a costume and getting lots of candy. This was our first Halloween as homeowners, and my wife and I decided to distribute candy to local trick-or-treaters. In the end, we distributed candy to about 25 children of various ages, and considered the night a success (although we now have too much candy left over).
In the spirit of the season, I read the Wikipedia article on Halloween and mined these interesting tidbits. Halloween is the sixth most profitable holiday in the U.S. right now. If I need to tell you which is #1, then I'd better say that there are only 53 shopping days left (yes, Sundays count nowadays). Halloween is also the second most popular holiday for decorating in America (for #1, see above). Once Halloween is over, Holiday #1 can be marketed with abandon. Still, I really enjoy this time of year, and look forward to that big day near the year's end, even though I won't yet mention it by name.
Thursday, November 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment