Monday, November 12, 2007

Citizen Kane

I decided recently that I had gone far too long without seeing what has sometimes been named the greatest film in American cinematic history. Orson Welles' Citizen Kane turned out to be quite a movie.

I found the story a bit hard to follow at first, but the film quickly hit its stride. As an introspective character piece, this film has few peers. The film follows the life of Charles Foster Kane, a character based on famed newspaper man William Randolph Hearst and played here by Welles. The story develops as a present-day reporter is trying to make sense of the recently deceased Kane's last word (yes, just one).

The film follows Kane through his life as his personality changes as his life becomes farther and farther from what he hoped it would be. For a long time, you're not sure whether to like Kane or not, as he is variously nice and dastardly. To me, the film is about Kane's search to fill an empty spot in his life (though this is not really clear until the end). Kane's trouble is that he is missing a key element in his personality that would allow him to reach his goals. The story is very engaging, and you will be wondering yourself what "Rosebud" could have meant (until the very end).

The cinematography, which has been highly praised, certainly was quite good. The acting was also top-notch, so in all this film really was among the best I've seen. It's not going to be a must-own for me, but I am glad I saw it, and can say it easily deserves four antelopes and a baby.

No comments: