Pheidippides (aka Philippides) was an ancient Greek warrior/messenger. He is the one who ran the entire way from Marathon to Athens, dropping dead from exhaustion after delivering his message of a Greek victory. This event sparked the modern-day marathon races.If I've shared this on my blog before, please forgive me. As even a modest runner, I occasionally am inspired by this story. I also know how much Pheidippides' feet must have ached after covering 26 miles in sandals (even if he didn't have to run on pavement).
I just got a new pair of running shoes. I went to a store called Striders in Layton, UT. They did a scan of my feet and captured an image of each foot while walking. The results were interesting. I have been running for about 2.5 years, and all that time I've worn Brooks' Glycerin model shoes. They are designed for a "neutral" runner, and are heavily cushioned to absorb a lot of weight.
I discovered, however, that I am not a neutral runner. I have medium-high arches, and I am a slight to moderate "overpronator". This means that my feet tend to roll inward when running. The clerk at the store recommended a stability shoe, reinforced with denser rubber on the insteps of the soles to help my feet maintain a more natural motion.
After trying about four different pairs, I decided to give brand loyalty a shot, and selected a pair of Brooks Vapor shoes (stock photo above). The nice part is these were $35 cheaper than the Glycerin model! I will certainly post a review of my experience in these shoes after I get about 50-100 miles on them.
No comments:
Post a Comment