Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Star Wars

As many of you know, I was a huge fan of the Star Wars films when I was in high school and my first few years of college. I couldn't get enough of it. I owned the original movies and the special editions on VHS. I read all the novels at the time, and all the new ones as they came out for a while. I bought far too many "collectibles" and even many packs of the trading card game.

People who didn't know me well assumed that I also liked Star Trek and other sci-fi type things. Strangely, this was not true. I detested other sci-fi for the longest time. I've since mellowed significantly on both counts. My interest in Star Wars is no longer enough to be a hobby in and of itself, and I actually have enjoyed episodes and films of other sci-fi franchises.

My interest in Star Wars declined to the point that I didn't even blink when the movies came out on DVD. The reason that I bring this up now is that a few weeks ago Angela and I were trying to think of a movie to watch at home. She thought that we owned Star Wars, and suggested it since we couldn't think of anything we owned that we hadn't seen recently. Anyway, I finally decided to buy the DVDs. We watched them pretty much back-to-back, seeing the first two on a Friday night, and the third on Saturday morning.

It was pretty fun, and I am glad that I finally have the movies. It's amazing how much of the "cool" stuff seems silly now, but they are still good fun to me, and it is neat to experience a little of the excitement they brought me just a few years ago.

For the fans and nerds among my readers, if you're interested in some truly geeky humor, check out Irregular Webcomic (click on Archive, sort by theme, find Star Wars) and also Darths & Droids. An interest in LEGO or roleplaying may enhance your appreciation of either of these sites.

No comments: