Still, I didn't stick around for the raffle and awards ceremony, as my time would often land me in the bottom third in my age group. I should have stayed! A friend who did stay ran into me on Monday and said he thought I came in second in my group. A phone call to Clearfield City's Recreation Department confirmed the result, and I dropped by to pick up my accompanying ribbon. The picture at the top shows my bib and ribbon for the race (Angela couldn't come to take my picture).
I have tried to understand how I could have finished second in my age group, as this is not typical for me. I think I was aided by the large number of 5k races held on July 4th in nearby towns. This probably meant that all the local elite runners didn't congregate at a single race. Nevertheless, this is the first award of any kind I've won for a footrace under any circumstances, so I am proud of the accomplishment!
I have decided to enter the Spanish Fork Half Marathon this year, which is held on September 6, 2008. I still haven't registered, but I actually recruited a few friends to train and then run it with me. I am excited for this new challenge, and I'll post updates as the race gets closer.
1 comment:
Congratulations. That's pretty cool, even if you do think it was just a fluke.
Post a Comment