Monday, October 22, 2007

Schadenfreude

This post's title is one of my favorite words. If I have misspelled it, please let me know. It is a German word, for which there is no direct English equivalent (although there should be). Roughly translated, it means "taking delight in the misfortune of others."

At various points in my life I have fallen victim to this bad habit in one form or another. I think there is a universal human tendency towards this feeling. I have felt it when a major rival of my favorite team loses a game. I have felt it when I see other people make a mistake (especially if I'm not fond of that person otherwise). I'm not proud to admit to this feeling, but it is something that I struggle with occasionally.

I have often wondered why the American media is so quick to present the personal failings of celebrities. I think these stories do sell ads, papers, and magazines, and the reason is Schadenfreude. I think that it helps many of us to feel better about our own lives if people who are enormously wealthy can not get their own lives in order. It's interesting to see this play out on a national scale. Still, it is encouraging to note that these stories are rarely the #1 news item for a given day.

I guess having the ability to laugh at our own failings is a good antidote for any overabundance of Schadenfreude. If I see myself tending too much to look at how others are doing, I can always try to realize my own fallibility and find the humor in it.

Anyway, I still think the word is awfully fun to say, and since I believe a bit of introspection is good every now and again, I took this opportunity to think about some things in my life.

3 comments:

Michelle Johnson said...

Very well stated. I think that schadenfreude and jealousy go hand in hand. Thus, in addition to laughing at ourselves, I think grattitude is a powerful antidote. If we focus on the positive things in our own lives, we will be less likely to revel in the failings and misfortunes of others.

Toby said...

Given that it is a German word, it should be capitalized, b/c in all nouns are in German.

Derek said...

Thanks, Michelle, for the additional insight! Gratitude certainly goes a long way in helping us stay grounded and positive.

Toby, I wasn't sure it was a noun, but of course you're right (I even learned this about German nouns years ago). I'll make the change.