Saturday, June 14, 2008

Wii Are Family

Last weekend I finally had the opportunity to play the Nintendo Wii (pronounced "we") for the first time. I have to say that much of it was quite fun. My in-laws now own one, and my brother-in-law brought it over to our place. Now we're visiting my in-laws for father's day, and I got to play again. I'm surprised at how addictive the games can be (though I'm sure it wouldn't last too long if I played it every day). The Wii remote took a bit of an adjustment, but not overmuch. I have to say that the game controls for the few I've tried so far seem elegantly simple in a way. You only need to worry about two buttons and the use the remote for the rest. As many have said before me, it has stripped away much of the steep learning curve required for video games, and made them accessible to many more people. I'd rate the system itself at 4 antelopes - lots of fun, but some games work better with a traditional controller. Maybe I could throw in a baby antelope because you can download classic NES and Super Nintendo games. Games played: Wii Sports, Mario Party 8, Super Smash Brothers.

No comments: