Tuesday, June 10, 2008

The 600 Club

Yes, I'm going to bore you with yet another sports retrospective. Yesterday Ken Griffey, Jr. of the Cincinnati Reds hit the 600th home run of his career. Griffey joined an elite group of MLB players to hit at least 600 career home runs. One thing people frequently note is that soon after arriving with the Reds, Griffey suffered frequent injuries. If healthy, many believe he would now have totaled 650-700 home runs, and would be in position to chase the all-time mark. Nevertheless, it seems that he will be headed to the Hall of Fame.

It feels like a long time ago, but Griffey hit 50+ home run in a season twice at a time when 40 home runs was considered excellent. He was the face of MLB in the 1990's - I remember trying on some shoes at Foot Locker, and the salesperson tried to convince me to buy them because "they're Ken Griffey, Jr.'s". (Aside: I did not purchase those shoes). Anyway, maybe it's lame, but even as sports figures and celebrities reach career or life milestones, I often think back to what was happening in my own life when they were younger.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it is a pretty nifty milestone- and Mr. Griffey Jr. does seem to be a pretty good role model as athletes go.

incidentally, not too long before Air Griffeys or were around, I had a pair of Nike "Bo Jacksons" which were the best looking shoes any boy ever had.

well, okay, so I was a sad sad boy, but i still love those shoes, and mourn their loss to whatever landfill they are in 15 years later...