Saturday, April 12, 2008

Catching Some Air

As some of you know, I assisted the Boy Scouts at my church with a fundraising activity today. To raise money for their scout camp, the decision was to aerate lawns in the neighborhood for $25 per lawn (most lots in our city are under 1/4 acre).

We had 25 people sign up to have their lawns aerated, and started work with a borrowed machine a little before 8:00 this morning. At first, the going was slow. The boys were relying on free donuts for breakfast, and so most hadn't eaten - this sort of compelled us to buy them breakfast. I was skeptical about how much work they would actually do, but after a few lawns, the boys settled into a rotation and all took turns as we progressed.

The weather was fair - not really hot or cold, so the work was relatively pleasant. I did make one error, however, which I always seem to do when working outside for the first time each year: I did not wear sunscreen. My face and neck are bright red. Maybe I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Angela's parents came up to meet us for dinner, so I had to quit working at around 4:00. By then we had finished 20 of the houses on our list, and I was ready for a break. Angela and her parents were trying to surprise me by finishing some minor projects in our kitchen! The only trouble is that they didn't quite finish, so Angela and I need to wrap things up tomorrow before our first house guest of the season arrives this week.

No comments: