Monday, September 17, 2007

The Wheel of Time Turns...

I was somewhat shocked to learn today of the passing of one of America's most prolific novelists of the last 20 years, Robert Jordan. Jordan (real name James Oliver Rigney, Jr.) was the author of the massive Wheel of Time fantasy series. At age 58, his death is a bit untimely, especially given that he was unable to finish his current series of books.

The novels are in the tradition of J.R.R. Tolkein and C.S. Lewis, but feature some rather unique and innovative elements. The first three books in the series are among the best I have read in this genre, and transcend the "copycat" feel that plagues this field in particular.

Jordan did draw some critics, however (I admit to being one of them), for the rate at which his series quickly bogged down and began to struggle under its own weight. The Wheel of Time began in 1990 with The Eye of the World. That book and its first two successors captured great depth while remaining well-paced. By book 10 (out of the current 11), the story had bogged down completely (due to a huge number of characters and plotlines), and I stopped reading them for a time. Each book is at least 650 pages long, with most weighing in around 800 pages. Book eleven (published in 2005) moved certain parts of the story forward, but I gave up after just 100 pages or so, and I don't expect to return to it soon.

Jordan hoped to complete his epic in two more volumes, but unfortunately this dream of his went unrealized. Still, I imagine he is at peace in some ways. In the brief biographic sketch included inside the back cover of his novels, Jordan expressed his desire to continue writing "until they nail his coffin shut." I expect that even as he was fighting his final illness, Mr. Jordan was working on his next volume.

His legacy to the fantasy fiction community is perhaps mixed. His novels were fresh and unique, and he could tell a good story. Still, the series remains unfinished and does have an overabundance of needlessly minute detail and "extra" characters. Overall, I have positive impression of the books. Jordan sought to tell the tale of an entire world facing its last battle with the forces of evil, and in so doing crafted stories that have rarely been equalled in quality and scope.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

(N.B. this commenter still has not touched the Wheel of Time, and only intends to comment on fantasy writers with perhaps minimal connection to Robert Jordan and his writing)

Does his death with 'pen in hand' (so to speak) mean that Jordan truly enjoyed his writing? Some writers have said that they write because they have to, that they couldn't live balanced, decent lives without the expression in their work that is impossible in quotidian life.

Where does this leave readers?

Stephen King's near death-by-collision really seemed to focus him on finishing his Dark Tower fantasy series, which he had been meandering through for over a decade. After the accident he cranked out the last three books like clockwork.

Of course, Jordan didn't have the chance. Would he prefer an unfinished saga? Did he leave an archive and drafts for someone to edit out an ending from? or worse (?), for a publisher to pass on to someone else? Considering the length of the Wheel of Time how important is an ending?

Derek said...

Ah yes, where does it leave the reader? RJ apparently struggled with his illness for some time, and it prevented him from writing much I imagine. I guess we'll find out soon enough if any extant notes can be sifted for publication. At present series has at least been spared from the "hurried ending" syndrome.

Anonymous said...

I haven't checked your blog recently, so sorry for the time lagging responses...

I began reading the WoT series the summer after our senior year of high school. The first book entertained me, although it was tough to follow after the simplistic writing of Terry Brooks (who was my favorite author at that point). Book 2 really grabbed hold of me, and I think the sword fight between Rand and whoever it was is the single greatest fight scene I have ever read. This momentum carried me through books 3 and 4 over the next few years. And then my interest started waning. I barely got through book 5. I made it 100 pages into book 6 about 2 years ago...and then quit. I couldn't take it anymore. It wasn't going anywhere. Its not that I minded how many plots were going on at once...that was rather amazing. But each one was moving forward so slowly that I simply became bored. Started skipping paragraphs, then pages. Why does a character have to observe in minute detail every feature of a room when he walks into it? Why does Rand sit on his ass most of the time once he takes over all the big cities? Why are the women so annoyingly stubborn (oh right, realism ;) ? I doubt I will ever go back to this series.

But it was certainly sad to here of RJ's death. Hopefully there will be closure to this series. Even if I never read the books again, one day I'll likely read the in depth plot summaries online for the remainder of it. Is that cheating? Possibly. But I feel no shame.

Derek, I recommend the book "The Brothers K" by David James Duncan. Its a fiction work about a family of 8 based in the 50's and 60's, and baseball ties it all together. The baseball fan in you will love it and the fan of good literature that raises issues of religion and life struggles will love it as well. I'm currently half way through it.