Well, enough commentary on the work of others, it is high time for another update on my recent activities. I have been continuing my work at Weber State, and my classes are all progressing very well so far. Of course, the whole point of this venture is to secure more stable and lucrative employment, and I have been told that now is the time to begin preparing for the day when I will graduate.
To this end, I attended the annual "Meet the Firms" night on September 12. I spoke with representatives from eleven different accounting firms, as well as folks from the Utah State Tax Commission and the State Auditor's Office. I was informed during some of my conversations that the deadlines to apply for next summer's internships were fast approaching. The next three business days found me frantically drafting cover letters, compiling paperwork, and completing online applications. The work was not fruitless, as I was offered interviews with Ernst & Young and KPMG.
These are two of the "Big Four" accounting firms, as have presence in virtually every major U.S. city, as well as major international interests. An internship with one of them would certainly be a good experience, and if successfully completed would likely lead to a job offer. Still, I know that they are very competitive, and that they recruit from all the universities in the state. Getting an on-campus interview does not put me in exclusive company, but it does mean that I at least have a chance to make good impression. We'll see where it goes.
One last frantic effort on my part was provided. Sine I am a non-traditional "leveling" student, I did not attend a Senior Seminar. Therefore I was unaware that to participate in on-campus interviews I had to create a confidential file, complete with three letters of recommendation. These, of course, must be on file before I attend any interviews. This Wednesday I spoke with two of my professors and my most recent work supervisor and found them willing to provide such letters for me. Even better, their schedules allowed them to complete them in time! I am excited to be interviewing with these firms, and I hope that if nothing else, it will be a valuable learning experience.
Saturday, September 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Congratulation and good luck!
Thanks Michelle, and those who wished me luck by phone! The interviews went well, and it was good to have your encouragement.
Post a Comment