Saturday, September 29, 2007

Time Will Tell

As a fan of Philadelphia's sports teams, I have often been disappointed by their performance, especially at big moments. I can remember the Flyers holding a 3 games to 1 Conference Finals lead, and then losing the series in seven games. Most recently, I have experienced the Phillies fall just short of a playoff berth. This has happened in at least three of the last 5 years. This year has the potential to be the same (or very different).

After holding a 7-game lead in the standings on September 12, the New York Mets lost 11 of 15 games. Meanwhile, the Phillies won 12 of 15. Yesterday it was the Phillies leading the Mets by one game with two left to play. If the Phillies were to blow that, it would be another wicked sucker punch to the city's sports fans (myself included).

Today's Phillies loss, coupled with a Mets victory means that the teams are tied atop the division with one game left to play. If the teams remain tied after tomorrow, they will face off on Monday in a one game playoff to determine who goes into the "real" playoffs as the division champion. In the next day or two, I will likely experience intense joy or extreme disappointment. Both the Phillies and Mets are facing teams that, while far lower in the standings, are still playing hard for pride. I know that the Phillies are capable of winning tomorrow's game, and of beating the Mets if need be. I know that the opposite is also true. I really want the Phillies to win this thing for once (it would be the first time since 1993), but I'm afraid of having my hopes crushed.

Oh well, there's no sense in moving West to allow the black cloud of Philadelphia to follow me! GO PHILLIES!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was holding my breath for that finish! I checked standings online on Saturday and saw the Mets and Phils tied with two days to go. I kept checking Sky Sports (Fox/Murdoch Omniversal) on my UK freeview cable, but their blasted score ticker never showed the baseball scores when it was supposed to... finally found out for sure today!!! woohoo!!!