Progress is a very subjective term. There are many sides tot he debate over whether or not humanity has achieved any appreciable progress in the last 10, 100, or 1,000 years (or any number of years that you choose). It seems as though people in general feel that progress should be a goal, though. As a society, at least in America, many of us claim to value progress towards these following goals: less warfare, less crime and violence, more safety, less poverty, and cleaner air and water. There are many other goals that could be added to this list or that would expand on these basic few, but really it seems as though we want to have plenty of resources and be able to enjoy them for as long as possible. These goals are admirable, but I intend to address a more difficult subject, that of personal progress.
This is a topic often addressed in Sunday School classes at my church, so be warned that I will include some religious bias in my comments. Also be aware that I am guilty of many of the faults expressed here, and that in part this article is driven by the guilt of my own conscience.
There is a current in America's present popular culture that says we, as individuals, should not try to change who we are, and that people around us should not try to change us, either. On its surface, this ideology sounds absurd. Who among us does not change physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually from their infancy to their adulthood? It seems clear to me that no change at all is not what subscribers to this opinion truly mean. It seems that they basically believe that no one else should be telling them how to behave or act (once they're adults, anyway), and that they need to be true to themselves and express individuality in whatever way possible. This is also, on the surface, a fairly admirable objective.
Still, it seems that people really ought to be trying to better themselves. Too many people use the above argument to excuse their own shortcomings, saying that they can not change who they are. While in the case of mental illness this may be true, many people simply wish to avoid doing things that are hard that may in the end be of benefit to them.
This is where the debate becomes sticky: what exactly should we be progressing towards? As a Christian, my own goal is to try to become more like Christ. This involves being more patient, tolerant, forgiving, loving, and charitable. It also involves rendering service to those in need. These are goals that I think few people would not find worthy of seeking after. Still, it is here that I need to focus most of my efforts, as I daily fall short of them. My church teaches that the whole purpose of mortality is to learn how to make good choices and to become better people throughout our lives, so that in our next life we can continue to grow and progress.
The doctrine of eternal progression is perhaps not unique to my church, but it is an empowering and uplifting message that says we have a purpose and we can do better. It says to all people that it is never to late to start anew. It allows me to feel hope enough that I can be a better person. I am not presently interested in returning to my previous mode of living where my only real goals were to satisfy my appetites and accumulate possessions. I wanted to be happy, and I thought that these things brought happiness. I began to realize this was wrong, and for me it takes religion to keep me on a better course. Many people pursue these same laudable goals without active membership in any church, and I commend them for their efforts. Some may say that my motives, when concerned with my own salvation, are selfish and my acts may not be truly Christlike. I can say that when I am doing the things that bring me closer to Christ's teachings I do feel a peace, satisfaction, and happiness that make me feel better. Why is this wrong? If my actions and behavior improve the lives and happiness of those around me as well, then I am doing good. In time, you learn to love those you serve, and that seems to be the greatest goal that we can ever seek to attain.
Tuesday, June 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Here's hoping that I can speak with such balance and clear sight as I approach MY next birthday.
Happy Birthday 2007, Derek!
Even if you are now nearer to the wrong coast of the continent, you should definitely get the impression that you are making progress in life.
As for society, who can confidently say it is getting anywhere? Does it ever gain anything without losing something else?
Post a Comment