I am not a regular attendee of the musical theater, but I have enjoyed the few performances that I've seen over the years. Last night, I saw one that without a doubt trumps them all in its ability to evoke pure emotion within me.
My wife and I attended the Pioneer Theater Company's production of Les Miserables. By the end of the performance I wondered why I waited so long to see this play (not that I had really avoided it), and wished that I could see it a dozen times again soon.
I will not attempt to summarize the plot of this complex tale, but I will say that the writers of this musical captured the essence of Hugo's novel and moved me to emotional highs and lows that I rarely achieve.
I can not rate the Pioneer Theater Company's performance against others, as I have not seen this musical performed before, but for me it was superb. The overarching message of compassion and hope rang true to the very center of my being. It was touching to see the effect that the bishop's generosity had on Jean Valjean. It was wonderful to see him use his new life to make a positive difference to several individuals later on. There was of course a theme of sadness and misery throughout the story (hence its name). The fight on the barricade and Eponine's death were particularly moving to me. Still, the light shone on our characters at the end. Hope, in particular for a brighter tomorrow, is one of the greatest things that a human being can feel. The music and lyrics of this piece were so evocative that I found my eyes watering on several occasions. In the end, I felt much better about so many things. What else could a viewer ask for, but to receive the gift of hope for him or herself?
Saturday, June 16, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment