Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Hines Mansion

Over the weekend my wife and I had the opportunity to celebrate our first anniversary! To mark the occasion we took an overnight getaway to Provo, UT. We spent the night at the Hines Mansion, a local bed & breakfast.

The Hines Mansion advertises itself as Provo's only luxury bed & breakfast. With rooms ranging in price from as little as $119.00 to $219.00 per night, I was not entirely sure how much luxury to expect.

My initial reaction was quite positive. We entered the mansion and were immediately struck by the elegant decoration. We were greeted by a very friendly and helpful receptionist, and the check-in process was very smooth.

We stayed on the first floor in the Whispering Willow room ($139.00/night). The room was nicely decorated, and the bed very comfortable. A complimentary bottle of sparkling cider was provided, which added a nice touch. The mansion offers a few extra services for additional fees. I chose to order a bouquet of flowers to be placed in our room prior to our arrival, and I (but more importantly my wife) was quite pleased with the beauty of the arrangement.

After going out to dinner, we enjoyed watching a couple of movies from the mansion's video collection. The selection was not the best for either of our tastes, but a good variety of films were represented.

The main drawback to our room was its location within the mansion. Its inside door opens into the hallway behind the kitchen/dining area, which also has the rear entrance to the mansion. This meant that we could occasionally hear people coming and going. This really only became an issue while the staff were preparing breakfast, and by that time we were already awake (both of us are used to rising early for our jobs).

The breakfast itself was rather good. In addition to yogurt with fresh berries, toast, orange juice, and fresh fruit, the entree that day was a chili egg puff. Topped with salsa this was a fine dish to start the day. Our early arrival meant that we had nearly finished our meal before other guests arrived, but we did enjoy some brief conversation with them and with the staff.

I was well satisfied with my overall experience at the Hines Mansion, and would highly recommend it to others. I rate it 4 antelopes.

2 comments:

Angela said...

We both are used to getting up early for our jobs?? Um, you do remember that I work only nightshifts right. I mean 5:00 pm isn't what most people consider early....

Derek said...

Sure, but when you were working days you had to get up at 5:30 am. Besides, on our days off it's rare that either of us sleeps much past 7:30.