Friday, April 6, 2007

Easter

Easter has long been a favorite holiday of mine. I know that for most of my youth my attachment related to the coming of the "Easter Bunny" (with baskets of candy) fueled my excitement. But now, as Easter approaches, I would feel remiss if I did not express my feelings regarding the Atonement & Resurrction of Christ.

Christ's Atonement in Gethsemene and upon the Cross at Calvary caused him to suffer every pain and affliction that we could possibly, and in fact collectively do, suffer in life. The pains He bore on our behalf defy all description, and only He could have accompished such a marvelous feat. He suffered so that we might be free and live. His subsequent Resurrection marked His crowning triumph. By these events he delivered us from sin and death, and he truly is our Savior. It has been said many times that "without Easter, there would be no Christmas." At this season I hope that all Christians might be united in remembrance of Jesus Christ, who gave his life for all people.

I know that He lives, and that my faith in Him has led me through many difficult times. I am grateful for this opportunity to reflect on Him and thank you for your understanding and respect if your views differ from my own.

1 comment:

Center Club Centurions said...

So few comments! I better post something...speaking of Easter, let's pay homage to Mr. Weil's past historical endeavors by looking at the dating of Easter by the early Catholic bishops:

1) Christ was crucified, according to John's Gospel, on the 14th day of Nisan (Jewish lunar month that corresponds to March/April in the Christian calendar), so this was the first date widely commemorated.

2) Later, the trend was to celebrate the Resurrection instead. So, one found the what one did was first find the 14th day of the first lunar month (1st rotation of the moon around the earth). Then, find the Sunday immediately after that date--that's Easter.

3) Therefore, Easter falls on the Sunday following the first full moon on or after 21 March (the vernal equinox). It never falls on the same day in two consecutive years and can be on any day between and including 22 March and 25 April. This year April was 8 April; next year it will be early, 23 March.