Saturday, October 3, 2009

Film Noiree

Yes, another hackneyed title, but last month I did get to see two flicks that at least loosely fall within the genre of film noir. I watched them both while Angela was in Bellingham, so it's been a while now.

The first flick is not a pure noir, but I read that it "feels" like a noir when you watch it, and I agree. The movie is entitled Laura and stars Dana Andrews as a detective trying to solve the gruesome murder of the beautiful young title character.

Throughout his questioning of key persons in the case, Andrews' character uncovers bits about Laura's past, and the audience gets their chance to meet her as well. as the film moves on, it becomes clear that Andrew's character has fallen in love with Laura, whom he obviously has never met.

The movie is fast paced, though not action-packed. The story moves along quickly. There aren't many empty or wasted scenes just to fill up time. The characters are well drawn and well played, so that even though there are only a hanful of characters, the story is quite rich.

There is a huge twist in the second half of the movie that makes it even more interesting. That combined with a very suspenseful finish makes this movie far better than average to me. Good screenplay, good cinematography, and I unfortunately didn't pay close attention to the score. This one gets a strong four antelopes.

1 comment:

Fred Flagg said...

'tis barely the same month, but this review inspired me to go find and watch 'Laura'. I found it on VHS at a public library (a victory for my 'bygone format crusade'). and unlike the 'Bad Day at Black Rock' VHS copy from another public library, it didn't end in a grinding blur at the climactic scene...

as for 'Laura', I enjoyed the chance to see Vincent Price as a young man and entirely lacking in stately creepiness. Oddly enough, Clifton Webb was an excellent model of that same quality, although more sardonic than stately. Sadly for me, Webb's was the only character I liked; even though I love Dana Andrews, his character was too bland for me to be interested in him. Worst of all for me, I found the plot twist ruined a nifty premise. Although I wasn't expecting it, it felt formulaic because it saves the hero from his disturbing fascination.
'Laura' is worth a watch to any fan of black and white movies, but I do not agree with the Weiled West staff reviewer; i give it 3 out of 5 bodkins (a middling result, with several high quality parts).

not sure if our reviewer has seen 'Bad Day at Black Rock'. methinks he may have, although I can't find in it old Weiled West posts... 'tis worth a watch or two to any movie fans for the opening train sequence alone. (I found the DVD at yet another public library to catch the ending). A curious mix of noir and western with Spencer Tracy, a young and evil Lee Marvin, and the always charmingly bad Robert Ryan, it has a lot going for it. It's too bad it's in color, although that's probably needed to accent the dusty Western atmosphere. If i can be forgiven for repeating my own rather ridiculous grading system, I give it 4 out of 5 bodkins and a needle.

and entirely aside from movies, huzzah for the 2008 AL Cy Young winner, and another huzzah for a Westerner in the government for not caving in.