Friday, October 31, 2008

Tag

Well, my sister-in-law Michelle "tagged" me via her blog. I'm supposed to come up with seven random things about myself - many of you already know some of these, but hopefully this is interesting to some of you anyway.

1. I don't like when people use "we" in reference to their favorite sports teams. I really think that unless you were on the field (or at least on the roster or in the front office) you diminish the results of those who actually played and won (or lost) the game by saying "we won" or "we played great", etc. when you did not in fact play or have any meaningful decision in who payed or how. I make an exception for people who root for the college teams of their alma mater. At least you were/are a student there, just like the players are.

2. That said, I am just as superstitious as the worst of fans. I think the number of e-mails in my inbox can influence game results, and other such idiotic, but for me almost insurmountable, notions.

3. As a kid, I was a Civil War buff. It got to the point that I spent a few years as a re-enactor. I had a lot of fun on several occasions, but eventually I got tired of it. I've thought about taking it up again if I move back to PA, but it's probably not too likely.

4. Among my other superstitions is an aversion to the number eight. If I look at a clock and the last digit is on an eight, I feel like I must stop what I'm doing until the clock changes. This grew out of my fear of spiders.

5. That fear still bothers me on occasion. Though not as severe as in my childhood, I still remember finding a spider in my sheets a couple of times, and a tick on my pillow once. Now I always check under the sheets and pillows before getting into bed.

6. I actually like doing my tax return. That is not to say that I love paying taxes, but actually completing the form is kind of fun to me. Not all accountants deal with taxes in their jobs, but I think tax is area that I would enjoy.

7. When Angela and I first got married, I actually had a hard time adjusting to her cooking. She cooked from recipes, while as a bachelor I was used to preparing packaged meals (Rice-a-Roni, Hamburger Helper, etc.). Needless to say, I managed to get over it, though perhaps not a quickly as I should have.

Well, there you have it. I don't know of seven people with blogs that double as journals, so I can't really tag anyone.

1 comment:

Angela said...

LOL, I remember getting complaints as newlyweds that I wasn't serving enough processed foods! I also remember when we were dating and Derek invited me to dinner at his house where he served Rice-a-Roni and hamburger buns for the meal.