Thursday, May 22, 2008

Prince Caspian

Well, summer movie season is high upon us, and I went to see my first "blockbuster" of the year. As many of you know, C.S. Lewis' novels are among my favorites from my youth. It only follows that I would have an interest in their screen adaptations. (thanks to Wikipedia for the image).

The film was nothing short of a mixed bag for me. Some plot points were changed, though nothing that dramatically altered the story (For example, when Caspian blows the horn and the children arrive in Narnia). Other differences were more telling, however.

Gone were Caspian's moonlight visits to the tower with Doctor Cornelius (Angela missed these especially). Also gone was the wonder of discovery as the Pevensies figured out where they were upon arriving in Narnia (this part was badly rushed- and here the kids never doubt they're in Narnia, though it's a big part of the book's first chapter). It was even more apparent in this film than in LWW that the movie was meant to be more serious and dark than the book - I felt any playfulness was gone. This was especially apparent as Aslan's romp with Susan and Lucy to awaken the old Narnians (trees and river) was also almost completely gone.

I won't even complain too much about the night attack on Miraz's castle, led by Peter (and his hubris). In the book there was fighting prior to the duel/last battle, and one writer pointed out that in the book Reepicheep even suggesting raiding the castle (though we don't know if they did so in the book). The fighting was a bit over-the-top, but I can't fault the writers for wanting to feature the Pevensies in action a bit more than they were in the book (In the book, they arrive only just before the duel, and only Peter really sees heavy action as he duels Miraz).

The film makers decided to give the Telmarines a Mediterranean flair to contrast them with the English Pevensies, the kings and queens of old. I thought this part was rather inspired, as were the casting choices here. The actors who played Miraz, Glozelle, and Sopespian were all excellent (especially Sergio Castellitto as Miraz), and basically made every scene they were in worth seeing. The exploration of Miraz's tyrannical nature was very interesting, and lent more believability to his later assassination by Sopespian.

I can't explain why, but Skandar Keynes' (Edmund) acting was really good in this film. I hope it continues to be so in Dawn Treader. Another key point was that Caspian and Reepicheep both seemed to be done well enough, so I can hold out more hope for the next film.

Still, the movie seemed a bit too heavy for Lewis - his works always had a lighter air about them. The battles could have been quite bit shorter and more tightly focused, and other valuable elements could have been included.

Overall, it was a fun movie, but it didn't hold up to the book as well as the first movie did for me. I gave it three antelopes at first, but then softened my opinion a bit on further review and decided that three and a baby was closer to how I felt. It's a movie I wouldn't mind seeing again.


No comments: