Thursday, May 8, 2008

Making the Grade and Going Green

Well, my final grades for the Spring Semester are in, and I am pleased to say that I did about as well I had hoped, and will be continuing on in the Master's Program this summer. While this result was hardly unpredictable, I did spend many hours of study in order to ensure that I learned the material and did as well as I could on my exams. My efforts have had a financial benefit as well.

I am one of three recipients of the Stuart Noorda scholarship, which will cover about 1/2 my tuition for the Master's degree. I also got a smaller, but not insignificant, award for the summer semester. My real worry in all of this is being able to find a good job for when I finish - it's the reason I'm here, after all. I have started pursuing a few opportunities, and will continue to expand my search in the coming weeks and months until something good comes along.

On another note, I've recently thought about how many plastic grocery bags I use and just throw away each time I go to the store. I really have use for only a handful for garbage and household use, so they are mostly going into landfills. I decided to make an effort to change this trend. I purchased four reusable shopping bags at one of my local supermarkets. They cost $1 each (half the price of non-store branded bags I've seen elsewhere). They are neon green and include the phrase "Go Green" and the logo of the supermarket. I do get a 5 cent credit for each bag used on each trip to the grocery, so the bags should pay for themselves (they should last long enough to replace about 1,000 regular bags each). Hopefully the energy cost to make such bags is less than that required to make 1,000 ordinary bags - and by a wide margin. We'll see. I really want to try to make this change, and I'll update you all in few weeks.

6 comments:

Michelle Johnson said...

Congratulations on the scholarship! That's great news.

Let us know how the shopping bag works out. At our local grocery store, they sell reusable bags, but if you're buying a lot of stuff, it's a big hassle for the bagger.

Derek said...

Thanks Michelle! I also worry a bit for the baggers, since I was a grocery cashier back in my high school days.

Still, I have really been disappointed with the quality of bagging I've seen generally in recent years (lots of times they double-bag needlessly or bag a single item). The re-uasble bags are stronger (no need to double-up the milk), and are much bigger, with a flat bottom.

In theory, the baggers might even like them better, but I'm sure there's a big adjustment to be made on their part. Anyway, I'll definitely keep you posted on how they work out.

Anonymous said...

The reusable-bag thing is something I can't comprehend...why not just use paper bags? My father worked in the paper industry for ten years, and he used to complain when people requested the the-new plastic bags. Trees are a renewable resource, the bags are strong, and you don't have to pay for canvas and/or be limited if you're buying a lot of stuff. Plus, buying them helps the lagging paper business in the US.

Derek said...

The only problem I have heard about with the use of paper bags is they take about 70% more energy to produce (per bag) than plastic. And as good as recycling is, it also uses power - both of these lead to more emissions of greenhouse gases.

The reuasable bags I have are not made of canvas, they're some sort of "woven" polymer. Hmmm. and some were made in China. Double hmm. (lots of feul to ship here). That doesn't sound so good, but they are reputed to replace 1,000 standard bags over their much longer useful lives.

These reusable bags may not be the answer environmentally, but they are the answer for the clutter in my home. Plastic bags can be recycled about as easily as paper ones, but why should I have stacks of them taking up space at home? I don't live in an area with curbside recycling.

Also, the bags have a piece of heavy plastic in the bottom, which gives them a large, strong, and above all, flat base. These re-usables hold at least as much as the standard paper bag without the risk of ripping (I've had that happen too often). They few times I've used them so far I have gotten into one bag what would have taken 2-4 plastic bags with current bagging techniques. I don't feel limited in what I can buy - each bag can easily accommodate enough groceries that four would cover nearly all my shopping needs. Recently I find myself at the supermarket every second day, so the bags work fine for that as well.

Amy said...

Hey Derek--thanks for leaving me a comment! It makes me feel better than more than just one man reads my blog. And it's fun to take a look at yours! I've been on the hunt for reusable grocery bags that meet my requirements for cuteness. It's such an easy way to be earth-friendly. And also, congrats on the baby! How exciting!

Christy Lou said...

Hi Derek - you might not remember me much, but I am Angela's friend Christy. Just wanted to say hi, and that I think it is awesome you are converting to reusable bags! I "converted" a month or two back, and love it, so much less clutter, they fit everything I need, and since the baggers at the local store are HS kids I work with, I "educate" them when they bag for me. When there aren't any baggers, or when things are busy, I offer to bag my own groceries so that the checker doesn't have to bother with it. That could be one solution.
Well, give my love to Angela and congrats on the baby!