The time finally arrived. Last Saturday David Beckham made his debut with the L.A. Galaxy. The American sports scene was changed forever... or was it?
Say what you will about the influence and popularity of "soccer" in America, but David Beckham is is the second most recognizable athlete in the world behind Michael Jordan. I did not say best, most talented, or most valuable, but most recognized (it doesn't hurt to be married to Posh Spice). His move to MLS, when he is actually young enough to be a top player at the European club level, is significant. The question that will take some time to work out is just how significant this move will be. Will the Galaxy be a contender for the MLS Cup? Will anyone in America watch their matches? Will anyone actually start attending MLS games?
Personally, I don't buy the argument that soccer is more boring than other sports. For me 90% of almost every professional (or collegiate) sporting event is too boring too watch. When I do watch a game, I do so because I am hoping for one of the three or four memorable plays per game and because I actually care about the outcome. This is why most Super Bowls to me are very lackluster, as I do not really care who wins and there is rarely more than one remarkable play (Wide Right, The Dyson Stretch, etc.). Still, Americans like their sports loud and violent, and soccer is too graceful to provide those elements.
Anyway, I wanted to take a break from movie reviews and get the opinions of my readers. Does anyone care that Beckham is here? Will they follow the Galaxy? ( I have followed Real Salt Lake through its league-worst season thus far, as well as D.C. United and to a lesser extent the Galaxy) Will Beckham's presence lead to the growth spurt that MLS so desperately desires?
Wednesday, July 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment